This podcast is a special podcast for attendees or undecided attendees, to get a view of what the workshop has to offer. This workshop Legacy Code Conversion To The Modern World! with Dan Card, will start with an app that has been created as a single .cfm page. During the day we’ll look at why the idea of refactoring is even worth considering if the code we have is working. What makes a site “traditional” vs “modern”? We’ll start off looking at the issues that usually drive working on your code and how refactoring is definitely a process and the accumulation of many small changes rather than an single massive event.
We will do quite a bit of hands on ranging from
What are the goals in a refactor?
- looking at tangible and “recognized” refactoring techniques,
- how do we preserve what works and avoid introducing bugs as we do this,
- exploring various developer setups which might improve teams productivity,
- answering what is an “env” variable (and a .env file) and how can it clear out code clutter in addition to making your code (and dev team) more flexible and secure
- some more newer of “advanced” coding practices such as “functional” programming like map / filter / reduce ,
- how different technologies and open source projects such as Git, CommandBox, Testbox, CFConfig and others can help with this process even if they aren’t 100% essential.
There is something for everyone in this course from the experienced CF programmer looking to “up their game” or the new CF developer looking to learn the tools and techniques.
To make sure you get all of the information as we release it, we'll blog about it here, but also check out the podcast website, subscribe with your favorite podcast provider or subscribe to the Ortus Solutions youtube channel or watch this episode and all the others on the playlist.